Monday 9 November 2009

Adopt a robot

Here's something I found over on John Welding's blog. It's a good ol' point-n-click adventure game called Machinarium developed by Czech studio Amanita Design. You guide a cute little robot through a strange junkheap world of urban decay in his quest for love and a nice place to live.

The story is told in occasional fragments of memory and the puzzles are all logical (not always the case in point-&-click adventures, it must be said). There's a brilliant, wobbly, handmade sort of look to things which evokes Jan Švankmajer - and after all, if Czechs don't know robots then who does?

You can buy it here. If I have any criticism it's that the price is quite steep at $20. If it were half that I'd be recommending it without reservation. Anyway, you get to play a decent chunk of the game for free before you have to decide, so next time you need a bit of creative distraction, pop over and give it a whirl.

2 comments:

  1. I saw screenshots from this game a while back and was blown away by the art - it is seldom you see a game with such a striking and beautiful style. I am glad to hear it plays well too. I will definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this thing looks just incredible. I've got a couple of mates with kids already into this kind of stuff that I'll be emailing the link to them.
    Thanks for putting us on to this Dave.

    ReplyDelete