Thursday 2 July 2009

All in color for a dime


I'm lucky and I know it. The team I get to work with - Leo Hartas and Nikos Koutsis - are for my money the best in the business, matched only by Guy Davis and Dave Stewart on B.P.R.D.

Well, "de gustibus non est disputandum", so feel free to have your own favorites. But can you imagine what it's like to see your characters come to life in scenes illustrated by these two great talents? (Every week, no less!) It's something else. I'm a kid again, ripping that brown paper wrapper off Barry Windsor-Smith's Conan or Neal Adams's X-Men and plunging into a world of mind-blowing images.

But, you know, the next best thing to seeing those finished full-color pages is when I get a look at Leo's rough pencils. That's when a scene first becomes real to me. In the graphic novels, I hope there'll be space to include some of that lovely pencil work in the back too. It has a charm all its own, not just as part of the overall art process.

No comments:

Post a Comment